Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Imagine the Possibilties!

My oldest son David took some art classes over the summer and the projects he brought home were just amazing.  I wanted to give the teachers a thank you note, and since they are art teachers, I thought a watercolor card was just the thing.  I saw this card a few weeks ago and wanted to give it a try.  It was really easy and I love the result.  Thanks for the idea Amiee! I used Shimmery White paper as the base of the image and the card base.  You can't see it in the photo, but the shimmery paper really looks great.











 I used Stazon black to ink the sentiment.  This is important because if you use Basic Black, the words will smear when you add the watercolor.











 I lined up all my colors and used an aqua painter to apply the colors.  The colors I used are Real Red, Pumpkin Pie, Daffodil Delight, Old Olive, Tempting Turquoise, and Rich Razzleberry. 
I used a Stampin' Up! Aqua Painter and I wanted to let you in on something I learned along the way.  I bought some aqua painters at a craft store before Stampin' Up! started carrying them.  When I got them home, I tried them right away, I was so excited to use them.  But, they were horrible, they required a lot of patience to keep them either too dry or too wet, I ruined quite a few projects with leaks.  Then Stampin' Up! came out with their version and I didn't buy them at first.  Then a friend brought them to a swap once and so I tried them and I was amazed at the difference.  I went home and looked at mine and tried them again and again got a leaky mess and that's when I noticed the difference.  The Stampin' UP! version has a large black rubber stopper/gasket type thing in between the brush tip and the water holder.  The cheap ones had a small stopper, very small, but the Stampin' Up! one was more substantial.  I ordered them right away and loved them.  I now use them all the time.  Cheaper is not always better friends! I also learned this with magnetic dots from Oriental Trading- they wont hold your paper purse closed-don't bother :) 
See how pretty!  and so fast and easy, I made three cards in less than 15 minutes!











Once the water dries you can add the dotted line for your butterfly. 










I used the butterflies from the Beautiful Wings Embosslits Die.  This cuts and Embosses the butterflies all at once.










Attach your butterfly and your done!
Thanks for stopping by!



1 comment:

  1. I love your card Beth and the wonderful way you colored with the AquaPainters!! I will be trying this too!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love all your comments! But, I have learned that I can not always reply to your comments. If you would like me to contact you directly, you can email me at bethrush@issinternet.com Im happy to hear from you. Or, you can leave a comment here if you dont want to hear back. Happy stamping!