Monday, September 16, 2013

Spooky Luminary

I made this fun luminary for Halloween this week!  I was playing around with ideas for next weeks stamp camp and I'm trying to focus on fall.  This luminary is really simple and it uses the "Best of Halloween" stamp set.  Each side has a different stamp.  I stamped the images onto vellum with versa mark ink, then embossed them with black embossing powder. 
Where did I get the orange glimmer paper?  did I actually use non-Stampin' Up! products?  No way!  I used silver glimmer paper which I them painted with some re-inker and my aqua painters. 

I cut the circles out with my circles dies, then used the re-inker on them.  They did dry a little lighter than I wanted so when I make them again I will do two coats. 











Do you like my little bat?  I made him with the butterfly that is included in the butterfly bundle!  I punched out some butterflies and then tried a variety of my scalloped punches on it to see what I liked best.  I decided that the best one was the 7/8 scallop circle.  It was really hard to punch the scallop out of that tiny butterfly, so I used a post it note to hold onto the butterfly as I punched. 






















It's hard to see in the picture since the paper is black, but I placed the butterfly in the punch until I could see the whole bottom wing and the start of the top bump of the upper wing.













Then I used my gel pen to add some eyes. 





























Here is a picture of it glowing in the dark.  Fun right?



Here are some measurements.  Cut a piece of 12 x 12 cardstock in half.
Score at 2 3/4, 5 1/2, 8 1/4, 11. 
Turn and score at 1 3/4.
cut the flaps, completely cut off the tiny rectangle at the bottom.










































Best of Halloween stamp set item # 134381    $14.95 
Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. This is so cute!!! I love your bats! I've been doing the same thing, but with a round punch. The scallop is SO much better! Can't wait to go home tonight and try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this project. I hesitate about the bats since we had 2 real bats in our bedroom a few weeks ago. Those things are scary when you are half asleep and realize something is flying around lunging at you! But, I may have to try making one. The whole luminary is so fun! I need a little thank you for my neighbor - I bet she would love one of these!

    Chris R. from Iowa

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love all your comments! But, I have learned that I can not always reply to your comments. If you would like me to contact you directly, you can email me at bethrush@issinternet.com Im happy to hear from you. Or, you can leave a comment here if you dont want to hear back. Happy stamping!